Separation Agreement Family Law

However, you may make any other arrangements you wish, as long as you both agree to these agreements and they are reasonably fair. You and your spouse can write the contract yourself or you can ask a lawyer, family court counselor or private mediator to help you. Where the parties have had legal advice, the lawyer who gave the advice usually also signs a certificate confirming that: the party has received advice on the impact of the agreement on its legal interests; the party has understood the terms of the agreement; and the party was not forced to enter into the agreement. This is usually referred to as the Independent Legal Advice Certificate. If you register your agreement with the Family Maintenance Enforcement Program, the parts of the child and spouse assistance contract will be applied.